Reaction Engineering fundamentals
This subject involves mass balance, molar balance, energy balance and reactions of chemical constituents.
Typical tasks of Reaction Engineering
- design of chemical process
- Maintain and operate chemical processes
- Fix problems in a reactor
- Increase capacity of production
Where Reaction Engineering is applied?
- in petroleum refining
- In pharmaceutical industry
- In microelectronics industry
A simple illustration of reactor system is shown below.
Explanation of reactor stystem
There are four species ( A,B,C,D ) in inflow. All of them has different reactions as below in the reactor.
A + B → E + F
C + D → A + F
First reaction, A and B species are reacted ( amount of A and B is reduced. This is also called as consumption ).
But in the second reaction, A is formed again by reaction between C and D. Otherwise A is generated again in the reactor(Generation).
Reaction system types
- Batch reactor
- Continuous stirred tank reactor ( CSTR )
- Plug flow (tubular) reactor (PFR)